Monday, November 14, 2011


Still Thinking – God and Grapes
Last week I spent a few days at Tarrawarra Abbey in the Yarra Valley.  I can’t remember exactly how long I have been going to the Abbey, I think for about 16 years ever since I returned from Canada in the nineties. I was introduced to the monastery by Rev Peter Wiltshire the Chaplain at Wesley College.  He had been attending Tarrawarra for some time and invited me to come with him on a three day retreat. I fell in love with the place almost instantly.  

The monks who run the monastery are Cistercians sometimes called Trappists.  They have owned the property since the 1950s when the house (now the guest house for retreants like me) and the land were bought by the Catholic Church.  Presently, the thousand acres is used to run 400 head of Charolais and Red Angus cattle, their main financial support.  But running cattle is not the main game.

The brothers follow a practice of the daily office which means that they pray together using chanted psalms, readings, prayers and hymns seven times a day from 4am until 8pm in the evening, seven days a week. In between these times they do the many jobs associated with running a farm and living a communal life.
Over the years I have got to know several of the brothers. While as a guest I don’t eat or share in the brother’s lives, nevertheless, the guest master often spends the evening meal with the retreatants and shares with us his views of life, faith and topics of interest.  The monastery is in the centre of the Yarra Valley wine growing region and next to Tarrawarra Winery and Museum of Contemporary Art – there is no connection between the winery and the monastery.  However, when I mention to friends that I am going to Tarrawarra for a spiritual retreat there is often the response, “Oh yeah, that’s a place I would like to go for a retreat!” Perhaps we all feel that spiritual retreats should be in austere places and not among the vineyards.

Tarrawarra Abbey offers people a place where the “memory of God” is kept alive. I am often comforted by the idea that while I am about my work back in Melbourne, the brothers of Tarrawarra carry on their daily prayer without my help or my presence. Theirs is a commitment to a particular form of the Christian faith that while it may not be mine, I can appreciate its value and am grateful for the opportunity to drop into that life from time to time.

I am sure there are many different places that can draw us into deeper and more reflective ways of living our lives.  And while just getting away for a few days can be restorative, I think it is important for all of us to find a place where we are intentional about nurturing our inner life. I know that it is not popular to talk about disciplines in the modern world.  That’s not quite true we are obsessed with physical disciplines, but spiritual disciples seem to be too restrictive for our contemporary lifestyles. Perhaps it is preferable to talk of spiritual practices rather than disciplines.  Regardless of what we call it, I need the beauty and agony of life to be shaped, formed and reformed around the practices of the Christian faith.  Practicing celebration, communal prayer, meditation, study, reflection, silence contemplation, compassion and action provides us with a structure and purpose to our lives.

There is an old Buddhist story that goes like this:
A novice asks, “Master why must I mediate every day when you have told us that enlightenment does not come through our effort or hard work?” “Ah” says the Master, “We meditate so that we will be awake when enlightenment comes.”

For me the practice of a spiritual retreat is a way of staying awake so that I will recognize the true values in life and so that in the “everyday” world I am not lulled into sleep by the seductive voices of the crowd.

Christopher

No comments:

Post a Comment